I hope this information will be helpful to anyone looking to customize their Ndrive TouchXL SE. Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

At the time I am posting this you can pick one of these up at XS Cargo stores for $80 CDN. They run windows CE 6.0 and have a 4.3" screen and seem like a nice unit. They have a micro SD card slot and a mini-usb connection and show up as a windows mobile device on your computer.

I am running windows 7. On first connection via USB, it may take several minutes to download the windows mobile drivers from windows update. The device will then appear in 'My Computer' under 'Portable Devices' with the name 'Windows CE'. Double click the icon, then open the 'ResidentFLash' folder,then open the 'NDrive' folder. What we need to do now is rename 'NDrive.exe' to something else (i used NDrive_orig.exe), then replace it with a program called Total Commander CE (cecmd.exe). You can find this on the net or here is a page where you can download it:

Gizli iceriği görmeniz icin 'Teşekkür' etmeniz gerekiyor.
Yetersiz haklar yüzünden gizli iceriği göremessinız.

Scroll down to the download link that says "File Explorer" and you can grab it. It will be named 'CVP.exe' but you can rename it to 'cecmd.exe' if you like.

Now copy the cecmd.exe to the 'NDrive' folder and rename it to 'NDrive.exe'.This will result in the total commander program being launched on reboot instead of the NDrive nav software. Now you will have to reset your device using the small hole on the right side. When the device restarts, the total commander window will appear, giving you access to the file system. To launch the NDrive software, simply double tap '\ResidentFLash\NDrive\NDrive_orig.exe". Or put the software of your choice (I use iGO Primo) on a microSD card and try it out!. The microSD card will show up as \SDMMC.

If you choose to try any iGO software, to get the GPS working you will need to put in your SYS.TXT:

[gps]
port=7
baud=9600

If you use iGO 8.3 you will need to add this to your SYS.TXT in order to get adequate volume:

[Sound]
use_method = "1"
os_volume = "200"
sound_volume = "200"
voice_volume = "200"

In order to be able to easily escape from the NDrive software, I replaced 'bubbles.exe' in the '\NDrive\Games\' folder with 'HardReset.exe' which I was able to find on the net (I am not able to remember where exactly). But the point is when you try to run the bubbles game from within NDrive, it will reset the device, allowing you to run something else without having to poke a paperclip into the reset hole every time.

I hope these instructions are not too confusing, I am not a very good writer. To the admins, if I have broken any rules please delete this post and accept my apologies.

PS: Just a side note, if you attempt to close Total Commander using the 'X' at the top right corner, it will instantly re-open. This is because several NDrive programs essential to the device are started BEFORE 'NDrive.exe'. As far as I can tell, one of these programs is responsible for making sure that 'NDrive.exe' is always running. So if we close Total Commander (which we have re-named to NDrive.exe), it is automatically restarted.

thanks jdullemond